RailSmart Planning Wanneroo is one of 49 projects under the Australian Government’s Smart Cities and Suburbs Program to receive grant funding to devise innovative technology-driven solutions to various urban challenges.
Why The City of Wanneroo?
As it stands, the City of Wanneroo offers an ideal context for smart technology solutions because:
- It’s the fastest growing outer local council area in metro Perth
- It’s the fifth fastest growing council area in Australia
- Its population is expected to almost double, reaching 354,000 people by 2036
- This resident number-tally is projected to reach 550,000 people by 2070 (City of Wanneroo, 2017)
- The City has a clear goal to create 100,000 new local jobs in line with its growth.
Why Rail Station Planning?
The 13.6km Metronet extension of northern suburbs heavy railway from Butler to Yanchep is set for completion by 2020.
This entails the development of 3 new stations at Alkimos, Eglington and Yanchep.
This is a significant infrastructure development. It also provides a unique opportunity to integrate smart land use and transport solutions to maximise:
- job creation
- easy public access
- available amenities
- community connectedness.
The RAILSMART objective…
Is to create vibrant, active centres around these new train station precincts, with strong employment-attracting features. This outcome of smart planning will bring new opportunities to the doorstep of communities in Perth’s high growth north west – well into the future.
Note: The RailSmart Project received grant funding from the Australian Government.